Sunday 12 February 2012

Push Blog

For the Push blog I chose this website:


I chose this site as it is a review by a normal woman, called Renee Martin, who has read the book so thought she would have a similar viewpoint from myself. She is also a black women so she is the key target audience for the book so was interested in what she would think of it.

She starts of by stating how hard the book was to read, which I very much agree with. I often found myself having to stop reading it because it was so graphic. Renee states "The scenes in which Clarice writes about the sexual abuse are absolutely shocking and horrifyingly real". She then gives a general plot overview with a few comments, summarising that the book is an example of how people of authority have let Precious down, something I again agree with. Renee also mentions Farrahkhan and how she was very worried about how he was such a role model to Precious in the novel as she dose not agree with his views and was relived when the character Miss Rain introduces her to other inspirational African Americans. She also worries about Precious homophobia and that if it weren't for the positive lesbians in the novel she wouldn't of changed her opinion on the matter. I think Renee is perhaps reading into it a bit too much here and I think in the grand scheme of things it is a minor point of contention to consider in a book filled with much worse things.

Renee summaries her review up with this: "Essentially, Push is about seeing those whom we have chosen to create as invisible in order to actively oppress and exploit". I think she makes a very good point but I also think Push is about more then this. I think it is about the African-American community as a whole and how as an ethnic group they have so many problems they need to overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment